Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Shanghai Loves me?

Day 1 - Shanghai

Okay, I am burdened down—heavy ladened—if I can call it ‘pulling an ‘April’ (who tried to carry in as much as her weight restrictions would allow.) After passing inspection after inspection and security points that made me sweat bullets, I finally arrived in Shanghai at the Pudong airport. With a help of a few angels,(and I mean a few--most people just stared at my difficulty) I got to the key junctures that got me to the next key junctures.


       The Journey into Shanghai

It started with a high-speed train that took me to a station where I had to get a taxi--whose driver didn’t know where my hostel was.  I got to a hostel after not sleeping for two days only to find that it was a storefront in a busy area of town with a loud restaurant attached. Great for food/location, bad for well-being.

At this point, I had a really bad feeling about the hostel. It began earlier in my research.

And so the sinking feeling came with a great conviction.  I needed a good night’s rest in a quiet place without boys sleeping in the same room with me.  I especially did not want to share a bathroom with said boys.

 (Of course everyone is very nice and neutral and the place is so clean and rather quiet.) But it’s not peace that I have. After that day, I didn’t think I could leave right then and there in the middle of the night. The decision was made for me the next night when I came back and they had no rooms.

The only hostel that had a place was my second choice whose name was ‘Le Tour Traveler’s Rest.’ The name should have told me that it was the place I would be looking for all along. I am so blessed here.

I am so happy in the common room with its air con, cushy chairs and late night computer users. I have lots of common rooms to chose from to sit in and think or write. My things are safely stored in a locker near my top bunk with the provided clean sheets, in my bedroom filled with other traveling girls.  Happy am I.

But before I get to sleep a quick recap on the day:

Friday -- Toured a little park trying to think. Hit some awesome Shanghai malls before heading off to the ‘un-peace’ hostel to sleep. Woke up the next day, packed up everything again. Stored it there and went off to find The Pearl Tower. (It’s now 1:00 pm)

 I'm on my way, going through a park trying to get to a Starbucks that someone asked me something.  Could I take their picture? “Sure” and then they say, “Where are you from?” And before you know it, I am joining them for a tea ceremony and am spending a third of my Shanghai trip money. Ah! But some of that tea will make for cool presents.

Now, on to find that elusive Pearl Tower.

It’s not 5 minutes later when, “Hello! Where are you from?” finds me again.   It’s two art students visiting the city through their college art class displaying their paintings. Before I know it, we are gabbing like old friends and they are taking me to see their artwork (in a building nearby.)

It was very informative, their pictures were beautiful, but then came the, “We have some prints, would you like to buy some?” “Oh”, I say, “I would love to. How much are they?” They quote a price that is beyond ridiculous but I want to support their work and encourage them so I buy two.

Well, amid some bargaining and 160 yuan later (for three) we part.   Happy to be finished with what felt like a car buying experience.

But later I found out.....

No comments:

Post a Comment