Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Shanghai Breather


Hung out at the hostel all day except for a quick stroll to get a bite to eat and a coffee. I asked about a place to get my hair done and was recommended to a professional-looking spot.

Before going back, I enjoyed a typically western Caesar salad wrap (my friend Jolene would have been totally thrilled~) with a mocha all eaten in this straight-out-of-downtown-America Somewhere called ‘Munchies’. Truly original. Great food. Super manager. Three thumbs up!

Went off to get my hair done. Chose a color. Relaxed. Really enjoyed watching ‘The Hulk’ on a flat screen TV in the saloon. (What a great idea!)

Maybe enjoyed it too much as I didn’t notice how the color was transforming on my head. Before long I looked like a Chinese person with purple highlights. That’s how dark my hair was. In the end I guess it looks okay, it was just a little shocking. I sort of wanted red..? And this was kind of …black?

Hahaha I look like Doris Day gone goth.

Next, I joined a couple of traveling graduates for a movie called ‘Ping Pong’. I couldn’t last it out but a Finnish girl had joined in so we had a nice chat. Later we tried the hostel’s banana/orange milkshakes at the rooftop bar. (bananas, marmalade, powdered milk) Quite nice.

When I asked my new Finnish friend what she had studied in school, I found out she speaks 7 languages! Swedish, Finnish, English, German, Italian, some Spanish, I think Latvian and now she is learning French. She wants to work at the embassy in Rome.

 I would like to work at the embassy in Rome! What a great idea. She would be perfect for it. She also mentioned that Finland is always looking for English teachers. (Don’t tempt me! I think and then imagine how that could possibly work out…)

Right now I am looking into things that could be done in and around Shanghai during the next two days. I am realizing what a boon it is to have found a hostel in this area (the French Concession) with all its tourist attractions and potential for biking outings.

PS Love the grass in Shanghai. I have taken every opportunity to walk on it.

My Finnish friend has a Chinese friend that's thinking of going on a river cruise.   Water.  Lights, Night,...no lines....  A river cruise sounds lovely…

No comments:

Post a Comment