Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Shanghai and Away!

Day 4


Got up late again. This time because of a late-night phone conversation with my Mom. I have had some misgivings about coming home right away. I would love to have a little down-time in the US and catch up with friends and family, but I am in a rather good place right now with a community and job opportunities.

 I would hate to leave too quickly and enter into difficulties. Interestingly enough, one of my dorm mates is an American who met a lot of other Americans travelling through Thailand because they recently got laid off or were in-between jobs.

It’s not that I don’t have faith for a job in America. It’s more like I don’t want to go back and find out if that faith will or will not pan out. James would say it’s not faith if it’s untried. 

Day 4 and 5

It seems like getting up late is the mainstay of this vacation. Did that again, check. I took a little walk outside. The air was muggy and it looked like a storm was brewing. But I think that’s just Shanghai every 4 days. Otherwise, it’s been beautiful!

I went to my fave little western place to eat—it’s perfect if only because I like the décor.    Also, it won’t make me sick before I travel long distances. Today I was battling last-minute doubts about going back home.   I spent a good chunk of the day researching jobs here in Shanghai. I am worried that if I go back home, that’s it. I’m never going out again. That’s the reasoning behind the news--or the lack of it--for today.

I also watched Miss Congeniality II.    Sometimes a girl just has to watch something light.
It looks like I’ll be heading home. I’m relieved. (It was helpful to find that one-way tickets back to Hong Kong are only $297) :] in case I start to feeling land-locked.

I///

So, see you all State-side! :] (that’s me waving to you)

PS  (Reflecting later, I wish I had stayed in China but worked at the University level in another area.   If I could choose, I would have tried to find a position on Hanoi Island.   It would be in Southern China but with a better climate and better air quality than Guangzhou.   And well, I wasn't quite up to the speed of Shanghai.)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment